Craving the snow, Eric and I decided to take the boys out of school for a few days and escape to the mountain pines of Payson. My Dad has a cabin in the Tonto Creek/Christopher Creek area and it was so nice to get away! Just a quick 90 minute drive later, we arrived at the Decker Cabin ready to relax and enjoy our mini vacation. Though the cabin did have pockets of snow on the ground, we had to drive a quick 15 minutes North to find the 3 feet of snow we needed to go sledding. And we had a blast! We spent one whole morning going up & down and up & down and up & down again and it was so much fun! The rest of the trip was spent hiking around the mountains, watching movies as a family (loved Kung Fu Panda) or the boys' playing Xbox while Eric & I caught up on our favorite books---it was wonderful!
I love my Dad's cabin! My Dad & Carol remodeled it right after they were married and it looks great! It is really nice and so cozy and just what a cabin should be. For the hunting men in the family, there are elk, deer, and pronghorn mounts up on the walls, along with my favorite antler chandelier over the dining table. These pics do not do it justice---it is really a wonderful cabin! Thanks for sharing, Dad!
There are two bathrooms and two bedrooms downstairs, with the below pictured loft upstairs. These two queen beds are at one end, while behind this view are the larger game areas. One side of the loft holds a Foosball table, "game TV" & stools, while the other side holds the grandkids toys, pretend kitchen area, and children's table. There are also more mats up there for additional sleeping. It is just a great space!


Tye asked me to call this group of pictures "Sledding in a Winter Wonderland." Great name, Tye!

Almost to the top! The boys went happily up & down and up & down and up & down again.

More like his Mom, Tye's face showed terror as he flew off the jumps, while Spencer (aka little Eric) had a beaming smile when he caught air! Both had a blast and it was so fun to see.





We did have one unplanned adventure...
My Uncle Rick finished his "cabin" (the beautiful mountain home pictured below) since I was last in Payson and since it is just minutes from my Dad's cabin, Eric wanted to show it to me. Well, we'd been careful to avoid the ice this whole trip and wouldn't you know it, we finally got stuck in my uncle's driveway. For over an hour we could not get Eric's 4x4 Ford F150 out! The North facing driveway had 2 inches of ICE and, to my terror, no cell coverage! So it was up to us. Needless to say, our boys are now sure their Dad is a super hero (thanks, babe!) as Spencer keeps talking about how he knows he has the strongest Dad in the world. They may just be right. :D

12 comments:
How fun to play in the snow. Looks like too much fun. I love your new blog look.
Love the Winter Wonderland title that Tye gave. Those are great pictures! Although I was looking forward to the one of you when Eric had you do the test run. Glad you guys got to get away finally.
I am so jealous!!! That looks like so much fun!!! We'll just wait for our invite....JK
I will have to give Eric a hard time though, the reason he got stuck was 'cause he was in a Ford...Chevy would've given you no problem!!!
BTW-Matt wants to make sure Eric realizes that the STEELERS, of course, are headed to the SuperBowl, not the CowGirls.
Sorry, he's making me type this.
That looks like so much fun! I'm glad your family could get away for a little while and enjoy a change of scenery and some fresh mountain air! I haven't seen Rick's cabin yet, but now I know to NOT go when there is snow! Glad you got to do some reading too. What book are you reading?
Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for letting us borrow some of your snow stuff, and telling us where the hot spot was. I'll have to blog about our fun time soon.
How cute are Tye and Spence!
I am so jealous!!! I love the pictures! And as far as getting stuck it happens to the best of us off road drivers.....so don't let Eric feel to bad. If you ever need someone to go with you to the cabin don't forget my number!
It looks like you had a great time.
I just wanted to comment on how lucky you are to have such a great family!
Glad you were able to get some sledding in. It's been so warm down here. Your parents cabin looks so nice!
We love the cabin too! I didn't know that there was sledding nearby. All the more reason to go!
Your dad's cabin looks awesome and very cozy. Don't you just love snow? I'm sorry about getting stuck at my dad's "cabin." I still haven't been up there when there's snow, but note to self....
Great pictures, your boys are too cute. I'm glad you guys got away and had so much fun. Your dad's cabin is a fun time!
Post a Comment