Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Autumn Recap (Super Belated AND Super Big)

For those who care, probably only my family, this is my attempt to catch up on months of being a neglectful blogger. So, today I am posting about our Autumn activities. (Beware of my blogging overload!)

*BTW- Several of the pics in this post came from my sister Sum's camera, so thanks for sharing!

Tye has found a new hobby this season... Chess! Yes, that is right, my second-grader is on his school's Chess Team and LOVES it! He loves learning all he can from the bi-weekly meetings and practicing by playing games with his patient Dad (thanks, Eric babe!) :D These pics are from Tye's first Chess Tournament at the end of September.

Warming up with another school teammate.Waiting to begin his first match.
Let the games begin!

October came and brought with it our 5th Annual Trip to Apple Annie's Orchard. I can describe my feelings about this day in one word--Yippee! My sister Summer and I truly look forward to this tradition every year. And although this year we went the last weekend that it was open (which meant not a lot of apples to choose from as well as a lot of people), we still had a great time!
The Buckleys
(Yes, Eric & I look like nerds since we are hunching over to avoid being poked by the apple trees.)
The Driggs
TyeSpencerCaitlynn
Annika
BrockClaireMe and my beautiful sister, Summer.
Thanks for sharing in this fun day each year!
We picked Fuji and Granny Smith apples, ate a yummy lunch that ended with Homemade Apple Crumble Ice Cream, then finished the day with a hayride out to the patch where we each picked our own pumpkins right off the vine. It was such a wonderful day!

Eric and Spenc with Spencer's pumpkin choice.
Tye was so excited to hold a real tumbleweed. Go Tye!
The following Monday we carved pumpkins for Family Home Evening. Good times!

Eric and the boys making their ASU Sun Devils pitch-fork hand sign. Awww, don't we brainwash our children young to love our schools!?! :D
This year was our quickest, easiest Halloween costume choice ever. Both boys knew right away what they wanted to be and actually stuck with their original decisions! Any Mom knows this is amazing since kids change their costume desires several times over the course of October (and ALWAYS after you've purchased the costume!) So, our happy Trick-Or-Treat night brought us Tye as a Ninja and Spencer as a Skeleton.

Successful Costumes + Successful Candy Hauls = A Good Night

Each Fall my sisters and I go on a Girls Weekend to continue the tradition my Mom started with us years ago. It just so HAPPENED that our vaca fell on the same weekend that the Twilight New Moon movie came out (okay, so maybe it wasn't a coincidence!) Shanon drove down to Tucson and we began our weekend by attending the movie. Okay, if you've not seen movie #2 because you saw the first Twilight film and were disappointed/horrified, go see this one since it is waaaaaaay better than that "WB" monstrosity that came out last year---trust me! This one is good! After the movie we went to our traditional Girls Weekend restaurant, The Olive Garden, and then retired to a hotel (thanks Summer & Cory!)

We stayed up late chatting and then slept in, ate brunch, and spent the remainder of our Saturday time shopping (our Mom would have been proud!) It was a wonderful break and I am so thankful for the wonderful sisters that I have! Thanks for a great time, gals! Love you Summer and Shanon!

This is a picture of us holding up our "prize" from Summer: 'Twilight Woods' body spray and lotion from Bath & Body Works....very appropriate, don't you think?!? Shanon is holding those items while I am holding my souvenir New Moon movie cup. Fun & cheesy times!

We had a wonderful THANKSGIVING day. We began our eating extravaganza at my Dad and Carol's house in their backyard. The weather was perfect and Martha Stewart, err I mean Carol, never fails with decorating the tables and centerpieces beautifully.

We ate and visited with my siblings and cousin-siblings (Carol's boys) and then left to continue our food-fest at Eric's parents' house with all his siblings. I am a loser and forgot to bust out my camera, so sorry Buckleys! I love you and hopefully made up for it taking tons of pics on Christmas Eve! All the food was yummy and the company was great! I was in charge of bringing pies to both events and made six: 2 Pumpkins, 2 Coconut Creams, 1 Banana Cream, and 1 Pecan Pie. I love making pies and hope to be as good someday as my Mom, who was a Master Pie Baker! Thankfully she passed along her recipes!

The Deckers on Thanksgiving Day:
My FamilyThe Adam & Monique Decker Family
The Cory & Summer Driggs Family
The Jared & Shanon Scott Family
I had to share this picture of Spencer! He came home from kindergarten on Thanksgiving Eve wearing this darling Drumstick Hat. He had the biggest smile on his face because he got to "make this using MARKERS!" It's the simple joys, huh?!?
And finally our last item (is anyone still reading)---Eric's Man Weekend! For the past 4 years, my bro-in-law Cory, hosts The Annual Sun Devil Extravaganza Weekend that ends with the ASU vs UofA football game. Basically it is 36 hours where about thirty men share in Men Activities: barbecuing, Xbox/Playstation games, golf tournament, more eating, and ending with the main event, attending the actual rivally football game---in matching t-shirts, no less! These guys travel to either city to participate in this event and have an awesome time! Obviously it is better with a Sun Devils' win, but Eric still had a good time anyway! Here are a few pics courtesy of Cory:

Some of the Men after a successful Golf Tournament:
(My hottie is in front, wearing the bright "ASU Gold" polo)

Eric and his Golf Team: his older brother Steve and two of Steve's sons, Robert and Jared.
Hey, ladies, these cute RMs are single if you know anyone we could set them up with! :D
Cory decked out in true ASU golfing garb! I don't know many as crazy for the Devils as Cory, and I am married to Eric so that is saying something!
At the game (yes, there are a few Wildcats in their group):
These True Fans on the big screen!
Cory had Tivo'd the game at home and was able to take this picture off his TV:
Whoooooo! Now I am pretty much caught up on life so if there are any still reading, coming soon will be my Christmas holidays!

6 comments:

Janel said...

Well I read it all!!! LOL Looks like you guys had a great fall season. Loved all the pictures!

Karen said...

Thanks!!

Summertime Designs said...

Whew! I'll bet it feels good getting that all off your chest. I'm telling you, blogging floats above my head like a rain cloud and won't go away until I post about our "events"! Great post, nonetheless. I love the ones of Tye's chess tournament; I hadn't gotten to see those yet. And love Spencer's drumstick hat.

Jueneta said...

I miss Apple Annie's. What experiences to post about.

Kris-10 said...

Thanks for the updates...I love seeing your little guys. Pretty soon you will get to have some girly pictures on here. :o)

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

That was an awesome post. Great to see how you are doing. We go to Apple Annie's every year too. But you make me miss my sisters who live so far away (sniffle) How's the growing in the tummy baby coming along? Totally can see Tye doing well with chess. I still remember what a smart boy he really is. I loved having him in my class, even for the short time during the summer years ago.