Monday, August 25, 2008

Edward Withdrawal? Read About A Heart Throb Pioneer Man! You Won't Be Disappointed!


I was feeling a little sad ever since I finished "Breaking Dawn," knowing that my romantic Edward stories were over. Then I remembered another book that I've heard only glowing reviews about but the subject matter never caught my interest enough to actually start reading it. Well, I gave it a chance and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!

I have just finished
"These Is My Words"
by Nancy Turner,
And Captain Jack Elliott is my new
Make-Me-Weak-In-The-Knees Leading Man!

My sister Shanon & I started reading it the same day (both of us in Edward withdrawal) and both found it very hard to ever put down! This book kept me up way too late and got me up too early. I've talked about it in many social circles and have yet to find anyone who did not love it. Some of the first 30-40 pages are a hard read if you're squeamish but once the story kicks in, you understand the graphic parts shape who this woman becomes. I can't say enough about this book--- I love it!

It's a novel written as the diary of a young pioneer woman named Sarah Prine (starts at age 17) and how her life unfolds in the Arizona Territories in 1881-1901. It might sound boring, but it keeps your attention and the leading man, Captain Jack Elliott, is soooo romantic! It's a totally different feel than Twilight, but a great love story nonetheless. Please give this book a chance---you will not be disappointed!

My only sad thing while reading this is remembering that my Mom actually gave me her copy of this book a year before she died and begged me to read it. She really enjoyed it and said she knew I would love it, too. I kept putting it off because it didn't really interest me and then she'd call me over and over and say, "you have got to read 'These Is My Words'--I promise you will love it!" Now I wish I had read it earlier because I would have loved to talk to her about it. It's funny to picture my Mom reading a romance book and I so wish I could know what parts were her favorite! Oh well.

Okay, haven't I sold you on it yet?!? Go out and get it (it's even in paperback) then write back and tell me what you think. Enjoy your time with Sarah & Captain Jack!

By The Way: It's Dad & Carol's 1st Anniversary!
Congratulations you two! Love you both!

15 comments:

Marcie and Holly said...

I read that book a year ago and it is seriously one of my fave books EVER! I tell everyone to read it, and in fact picked it as my book in book club and now everyone in the book club loves it. Seriously, the BEST book EVER!!!!

Hillery said...

Thank you! I've been needing something to get me out of my post-Twilight rut. I'll have to give this a try! And hooray for Roger and Carol!

The Scotts said...

Awe! I think I'll go read it again. Oh Jack. I want to know if people like book 2 & 3.

Jueneta said...

Awesome book referral. I am always needing a good book to read.

Summertime Designs said...

That one is next on my list. I have heard people say they like this Captain Jack fellow BETTER then Edward (which I find hard to believe...but I am WILLING to find out!)

Amy said...

This is definitely one of my favorite books, too. But Jane Eyre is right up there for best romances.

Nichols Family said...

I read that book a few weeks ago...so great! It definately wa fantastic. I loved her spitfire personality, she was a crack-up. ANother one of my favorites: When Crickets Cry. If you haven't read it, DO IT!

mindy said...

also one of my favorite books--i have yet to read the others in the series (i think 2 others?)--sarah's quilt and something else. or i could be way off. but yes--i love this book, too!!

Kari said...

I'll have to definitely check this book out. I am sooooo missing my Edward! BTW, super cute potty story below!

gs said...

OK James, if your mom, my sister, my mother's daughter liked it---I'll give it a try. See you this weekend!

Byron said...

Well your mom has good taste. I loved this book. Glad you finally got to read it. I heard/read somewhere that "Edward can have my throat, but Captain Jack can have my heart." Cheesy, I know, but really such a better story.

Lark said...

I just read this book last year and absolutely loved it! She wrote 2 sequels to this book which I hear are also very good. I just finished reading breaking dawn as well and am sooo sad that series is done. But, I also just read "Book of a thousand days" by Shannon Hale. It is very good. Sounds like its up your alley!
So great to see your comment on my blog - we are in Vegas right now. We were in tucson for 5 years and moved here last year. Are you guys in the Phoenix area or still down in Rio Rico or wherever?
Keep in touch!

jenny said...

I have seriously tried and tried to get into that very book and can't. PErhaps I am weird??? Maybe I should give it another try. Happy Anniversary to your dad and Andy's mom :)

Rachel Hagen said...

Thanks for the recommendation, I've been looking for a book. I read it in three days and LOVED it! Jack is my hero. Now I need another nook. Anymore recommendations?

Marcie and Holly said...

Check out our blog. We gave you an award!