Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Don't Be Too Scared For Me But...Last Night I Was HANGIN' TOUGH!!!


Go back with me Twenty Years:
I was a 13 year old girl who spent my days dreaming of the popular boy band New Kids On The Block. With my best friends, Marcie Burnham & Janel DeRusha, and our other close girlfriends, I continued this love affair for two more junior high school years, where countless hours were spent reading teen magazines like BOP and watching videos of our band perform their hit songs (Eric would have me put hit songs in quotes due to his doubting of their talent...I know, it's heartbreaking.) :o) We each had our favorites: Marcie's was Joey, Janel's was Donnie, and mine was Jordan. We actually spent a night camped outside the Dillard's box office in order to get tickets to one of their concerts; concerts which were selling out in hours back in 1989. Tickets in hand, our 14-year old hearts rejoiced, only to have our dreams squashed when weeks before the show they decided to cancel their 2nd Phoenix show, our show, to perform in Vegas instead. We vowed that we would go together if they ever performed a concert here in Arizona again. Little did we know...



Flash forward to the Spring of 2008:
I am now a 33 year old woman who received a phone call from Marcie that began, "they're coming!" I instantly knew what she meant! The New Kids On The Block, yes, our New Kids, were having a 20-Year Reunion Tour and stopping here in Arizona! Of course we had to go! Well, last night it finally arrived and we got to see NKOTB in concert (just 18 years late, but still, better late than never!)
I can't find my junior high pictures but here we are together at age 16. Marcie, myself, and Janel: we did EVERYTHING together!

Monday night I met up with Marcie & Janel, two of Marcie's sisters Holly & Dena, and two of Marcie's co-workers who were also NKOTB fans during their teenage years. We started off with dinner at Pei Wei and then headed out to our much-anticipated concert. We treated ourselves to valet parking and headed inside. It was so funny to see the arena filled with other groups of 30-something moms who were also reliving their teenage fantasies. I was worried the New Kids would be too old or seem like washed-up wannabes but I have to say, to Eric's horror, that they put on a great show and sounded really good (did I actually just write that!?!)

The view from our seats.

Our seats were about half-way back on the floor, but they ended up being some of the best seats in the arena! Here's why: right next to us there was this little round platform-like stage that looked like it had a covered piano on it, just right there in the middle of all the floor seats. Well, about halfway thru the show we noticed the cover discreetly coming off the piano and security guards escorting some hand-picked hot chicks over to stand around this "stage." So of course, Marcie, Janel, and I slide on over directly behind these gals just in time for the New Kids to exit the main stage and come to perform on this round! We were RIGHT THERE! This mini-stage was instantly crowded with a swarm of moms, as the New Kids sang 3 songs before heading back to the main stage. Yes, we stood 3-5 feet from them the whole time (if I was still 13 this is where I would insert screams of joy!) As Janel said, she and I were juuuuust out of hand reach but Marcie grabbed Joe's hand and we were so excited for her (are you super embarrassed for me yet?) Anyways, they performed all their classics, some songs off their new CD, and even did some of the dance moves from their old videos. I had so many junior high flashbacks throughout the night! When the evening began I knew I'd have a fun time with Marcie and Janel, because we just always do, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the actual concert. It really was a FUN night! Below are some pictures for any of you NKOTB fans (and all you closeted fans out there, too!) Enjoy!

Were we close or what?!? Never in my dreams did I imagine that someday I would be in a real picture with members of the New Kids On The Block! Crazy!

My teenage crush, Jordan Knight. When he was on the round I could see the little crows-feet around his eyes and it was weird to think that he's gotten older, too. Bizarre to see your teenage crush up close years later! Don't get me wrong, he still looked good, it was just a surreal feeling the whole 2+ hours.

And all you gals & guys who were our friends in Junior High (ya, you know who you are) I know you are remembering the fond evenings we spent Hangin Tough to their music! Remember singing to Janel on her Birthday? :D

Here's when you'll be the most embarrassed for me: When we were up close, I yelled Jordan's name, he turned right to me, and I took this next picture with my camera. Aaaaaaaa! I now have a sore throat and my voice is missing, but sometimes a girls gotta sing & dance the night away!
"What? Yes, I'm a happily married mother of two who will be 34 next month. Why do you ask?" :o)

19 comments:

The Scotts said...

Oh oh oh oh oh Just Hanging Tough!! I so would have gone!! We have to have our obsessions to help get us through life. Mine is Edward. But I do remember Joey was hot! I am so happy for Marcy because I remember her being totally obsessed. I loved the "Please Don't Go Girl" video and when Danny talks about vitamin D milk and how "he wil try it". Glad you guys could relive the fun years! Until November 21st!!

Janel said...

LOL @ Shanon, "my mom always said, Try it, you might like it, so I will try" LOL!!! I forgot all about that!!

I had the BEST time!!! It would not have been even close to the same without you guys!

Summertime Designs said...

New Kids on the Block! Let's Rock! It's Christmas time, we're gonna celebrate it with a rhyme! Danny-D are ya ready? Ready as I'll ever be. Steady! You KNOW Joey Joe's ready! Jordan and Jon, yeah? Come on, we've got a funky funky Christmas going on.

Jordan was always my favorite too. I thought his lisp was sexy. And remember when we used to think the girls in their music videos were NOT hot? We always said, "Those must just be friends of theirs."

Marcie and Holly said...

Now we need to get together and watch the videos again! How fun would that be!?! I love you guys! We have some of the best memories together and this just adds to it!

mindy said...

Too fun! I"m really happy for you, what an awesome night!!

I saw them when I was in 4th grade at our local fair--I always liked Joey--that high voice--ooohhhhh.

Lana said...

You're my hero. Coolest mom ever!!!

Nuestra Familia said...

ok I have to go to bed, but I had to read your post. That's so funny, it's awesome you were finally at one of their concerts. I can't believe they cancelled their concert in phx so many years ago. I'm not embarrassed for you at anytime, I went to a spanish concert with my sisters couple years ago and touched the singer's hand, i was so excited. pete was excited for me too. What a blast you had, you deserve it!!

Brooke said...

Jaimee, that looks like such a fun night, and how cool is that for you to go to the concert with your same teenage friends! Who would have ever known that you'd finally get to see your concert? Brings back memories for me too

Tanalyn said...

Okay that is awesome!Looks like you had a great time and oh yea, you've been tagged!!!
(Matt wants to know how Eric does)wink wink

Jen Shumway said...

That sounds fun. It is fun to be young again.

Karen said...

Too Fun!!! Can't help but love the music we grew up on! The trick is to indoctrinate our children so they like it too, just ask Brenn about her fav music - 80's all the way!

Keeps us young!
Karen

Jill said...

I remembing having NKOTB shoe laces, calendars, t-shirts... you name it. I LoVeD them! I watched them on the Today Show recently and thought how crazy that I still think they are worth watching!

So glad you had fun!

The Quist Family said...

I love it!!! I totally loved NKOTB! I actually sent Joey a little with a nice little squirt of exclamation perfume. I was in love and I still haven't ever forgiven Kami (little does she know) for when she said that they will never last...WHAT!?!!? :)

Nichols Family said...

Please don't go girl...you will ruin my whole world...Tell me you'll stay...and never ever go away...

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Whoo, loved the junior high pic best. The hairdos and clothes from the late 80's were awesome, were they not?

I also also teeny bopper fan, listening to New Kids and watching Kirk Cameron and Ricky on TV.

Emily said...

I am dying! You guys are so awesome for going to the concert! That is so cool! I remember rewinding those videos over and over to watch our favorite parts. Didn't we all have fake names for each other in our note-book that we passed around between classes at Kino? Those were good times!

Hillery said...

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! I won't go into details about my NKOTB obsession, but I am so jealous. Even when they weren't cool, I still harbored a secret love for them. I was pretty darn sure that I was going to marry Jordan. I might have passed out to hear them sing "Cover Girl." Glad to see you had so much fun!

Nichols Family said...

Jaimee, see my blog...I'm going private.

Janel said...

I think my favorite part about the comments on this blog post (besides seeing fun friends!) is the proof that we sucessfully brainwashed your little sisters into AWESOME NKOTB fans! They probably even remember the "Tonight" dance better than we do! We ROCK!! :D LOL