Saturday, December 27, 2008

Fa, La, La, La, La, We're All DECKED Out!

I have to brag and show off my darling Christmas table setting! I need to give the credit to my friend and fellow-blogger, Tanalyn Parker, because I saw a similar centerpiece on her blog and told her I HAD to copy it! Thanks, Tanalyn! I hope you too believe that repetition is the most sincere form of flattery! :D
Well, December 22nd was the 2nd Anniversary of my Mom's death and my family has decided that each year we six remaining "Decker Originals" (my Dad and all 5 of their children) plan to get together for dinner and honor my Mom. So, I wanted to make my Mom proud and have the table decorated to the nine. My Mom was wonderful at setting the dinner table and making each meal eaten there feel special. My whole life, every Sunday dinner was set beautifully with a centerpiece, candles, and nice dishes. Even in the later years when she switched to paper plates, they were the nice, decorated, 8-in-a-pack for $4 paper plates! She made Sunday Family Dinners feel special just because we were there together as a family. So, I hope I did her proud! My sisters came over that afternoon and we made the meal, including Mom's holiday tradition of Baked Alaska Pie for dessert. It was a really nice evening to be with my family. Knowing that we have this night together really helps me survive the holidays. And besides, my family is really fun so I know I'll enjoy myself! :D Dad, Adam, Summer, Shanon, and Jono, thanks for a great night! I love you all!
More pics of my centerpiece of
Christmas bulbs, pine boughs, & cranberries.
My darling Dad at dinner.
The Decker Originals: Dad, Summer, Jono, Shanon, me, & Adam.
In front of my living room fireplace--smiling and being goofy?!?
(Obviously some of us did not get the goofy memo in time for the picture! A little weird!)

Shanon trying to cool off her delicious Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder while Dad pours her Martinelli's Sparkling Cider. Awww, what would we Mormons drink at special events if it wasn't for Martinelli's! Gotta love the cider!

Summer, her sweet Claire, and I serving up Baked Alaska for dessert. Yummy!

Below is one of my favorite photos of the evening! I had this much loved picture of my Mom out at dinner since the occasion was in her honor. Well, after the meal we retired to the family room to visit. We had just begun talking when Summer picked up the piano bench, brought it over by us, set an orthopedic pillow on the bench, and then put my Mom's photo on top. Basically, making sure my Mom could join us in comfort on her always needed cushions. We laughed so hard! Thanks for helping us laugh thru the tears, Sum!

I love you, Mom.

8 comments:

The Scotts said...

It was a beautiful table setting!! Thanks for being such a great host for a great evening. Your baked alaska was divine. Thanks for making it. Love ya!

Ashley said...

What a great night! I love the table and all the decor. I need to get that baked Alaska recipe, our group would love it!! Love the picture of your mom :) Made me giggle when I saw the pillow! I am sure she's doing cartwheels in heaven!!

Kris-10 said...

Don't you love getting together with just your "original" family. We try to do it every so often and while it seems weird without everyone, it is special and fun.

Jaimee said...

That was a fun evening Jaimee. Thank you for hosting and having your house clean and perfect. The decorations were just beautiful. And I second what Shanon says, "Your Baked Alaska was divine!" I'm glad we could all get together on the Happy Crappy Day. It makes it more worthwhile!

Summertime Designs said...

Oops, I just realized I am still signed in under your name from changing the header...the comment above was from me!

Jaclyn said...

That's so neat that you guys will always have that day together to remember her. And, I LOVE your table!! Your house is just beautiful.

Tanalyn said...

Hey Buckley, soooo sad to hear about your cowgirls again!! I'm going to send your boys a steelers jersey to let them know what a real team wears. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season!!
Later MJP

jenny said...

That is such a nice tradition to have. Corn Chowder is one of my favorites. The house looked beautiful!