Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Source of True Inspiration

I have been really reflective lately as I think about all the unexpected twists and turns life takes. I have been feeling especially troubled over the story of a young family in our stake. Christian & Stephanie Nielson are a husband and wife that were in a small airplane that crashed mid-August and are now both fighting for their lives in the Maricopa burn hospital. The pilot, also a father and member of our Church, did not make it. This couple is so young (both under 30) and have four darling children ages 6 years-18 months old. I don't know them personally but have been a "blog stalker" on her darling blog in the past and now have been really moved by their tragic circumstances. I think about them daily and now my boys even pray for their family without my promptings. Last Wednesday night our Laurels went to a Hope Concert to raise money for their family and it was wonderful. The more I learn about the Nielsons the more I see the kind of family that makes the world a better place. Here is Stephanie's sister's blog (blog.cjanerun.com) if you want to read about them or wish to donate money. They are still in very critical condition. Stephanie's sisters are reposting some of her blog entries each week on her blog (http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/) and I wanted to share a quote from a post that she did about 2 months before her accident. This really inspires me to be a better mom. Stephanie posted a picture of herself sitting on her kitchen floor with a basket over her head. Then she writes...

Sometimes life feels this way. I really enjoyed this quote by Anna Quindlen. Elder M. Russell Ballard quoted her in my favorite talk:

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments {or if I could enter here-the basket-head mother syndrome}. She said: "The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of my three children sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." (Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11)

Stephanie continues...

Starting today I am going to be better. I never had a basket-head mother, and I AM NOT GOING TO BE A BASKET-HEAD MOTHER! I am going to listen, love, communicate, cherish, enjoy, teach, preach, and prepare my children. Time for everything else later.

I was so moved by this post and have been trying to focus on one of the main reasons I am here on this earth-- to nurture my children. Not just to fulfill their physical needs, but to truly share in all the little life moments that happen each day. There is always so much to do and I too find myself hurrying to get everything done instead of taking time to slow down and enjoy the sweetness of "doing." I pray the Nielson family pulls through and can have the quality of life they hope for to be there to raise their children.

2 comments:

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Thank you for sharing this. I really needed this reminder.

Lana said...

Loved this post and appreciated the reminder as well. It's a hard thing to remember when my kids are young and I'm sick from my pregnancy now. I definitely find myself looking at the clock--when's bath time? When's bedtime??? Thanks for the reminder!