Mom as a teenager with her Peterson family (I think she is 15 in this picture, so approx 1966.)
Freshman sweethearts at Glendale Community College's Winter Formal, 1969.
Mom at BYU, 1970. She sent this pic to my Dad while he was a missionary in Pennsylvania. They married just 6 weeks after he completed his mission.
Roger & Sherrie Decker Family, Spring 1982.
Still sweethearts, January 1998.
Mom & I at Eric's MBA School Graduation Party, May 2001.
Roger & Sherrie Decker Family, Summer 2002.
I love this picture of my parents, 2004. 
As, we do every year, we met at the cemetery with my siblings & Dad to have a birthday party for & to celebrate the life of my wonderful Mother. We missed Jono, who is in his final year of grad school at Auburn University, and Gram & Grandpa Burke, who couldn't travel down from Utah this year. My Mom loved making a huge deal out of our birthdays each year and so we love to be together as a family to celebrate her! We ate Barros pizza (Mom's fav), sang "Happy Birthday" & ate cake, but mostly spent time telling great stories about Mom. We have a box that we put treasures in that were hers, so that we can show our kids who their Grandy was. We want them to remember her (if they knew her) and know her (if they didn't), and that comes thru sharing and story-telling.
Each of the adults shared some things we loved about her & told some of our favorite stories about her. We then went around and told fun things that Grandy did with each of the grandkids that knew her in this life. The older ones chimed in with their memories, too. I loved this part of our day because I want these kids to remember her involvement in their lives and know how much she adored them! This is one of the hardest parts about her death. The main reason I love this tradition is that we can be together as my Mom's immediate family once a year to honor Her. Simply put, she really was something special!
Happy Birthday, Mom. I love and miss you.
You have to love the pile of flower petals that the grandkids placed in front of my Mom's picture. These are petals that are floating around the grounds due to the friendly cemetery lawn mower.
The Driggs Family
The Scott Family
The Adam Decker Family
Every year we each write a message to Mom/Grandy on a balloon, sing Happy Birthday, and then send them off to the heavens. 

Thought this was darling of Summer's little Claire. She crawled over on her own and just looked at my Mom's picture. So sweet!
I love you Dad, Adam, Summer, Shanon & Jono, (you were missed, spud-man)! Happy Birthday, Mom! I love you!
Okay, this looks a little irreverent, but it's just us being our goofy selves! We did our jazz-hands in honor of our Mom---she loved music & dancing and we knew she would have joined right in! The day was filled with laughter AND tears, which I believe are both healthy to share! :D Mom was the funnest of us all! She is truly missed.

6 comments:
Wow - your poor dad getting that picture on his mission. Your mom was a little cruel I think. :o)
Looks like a fun occasion - despite the circumstances. What a way to keep your mother alive for your children. I think that is awesome.
Jaimee, it was so good to be with you and the rest of the fam. I'm so grateful for our traditions! I feel like the two is not enough. Tell Eric thank you for filming too. It will be neat to have footage of this. Love ya! (I would have brought my video camera, but it's old and only works if it's plugged into the wall.)
Great times! I love talking about Mom. She sure is missed and loved. Love you.
What a great tradition. I love the idea of the balloons.
Jaimee,
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you guys have this tradition! What a beautiful family you are and I am so happy that we know that families are eternal. Thinking of you as you remember your sweet mother (always!)
xoxo
Kristi
What a beautiful post. The pictures of your Mom are great. I am so sorry that she is no longer here with you, but it looks like you have a great way of honoring her!!
Post a Comment