Monday, January 28, 2008

52 Blessings (Week FOUR): A Blessing For Each Week of the Year

Number FOUR: A Prophet of God
President Gordon B. Hinckley
When we heard the news last night that our beloved Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, had passed away, Eric and I both felt a mixture of sadness & happiness. Sadness that he would no longer be the joyful, powerful leader of our Church, but happiness that he was released from his 97 year old body and being welcomed into the Heavens by what I can only imagine were throngs of angels and loved ones. What an influential leader this man has been during my 33 years on the earth. His testimony, his optimism, his humor, his example-- each profoundly touched my life. Due to my grandfather's Church position, I have been blessed to meet several of our prophets and apostles, and I met President Hinckley the summer of 1993, at the San Diego Temple dedication. I remember that I could feel his love & goodness, and felt the spirit confirm to me that he was one of the Lord's representatives here on the earth.

I am thankful for President Hinckley's challenge in August 2005 to begin again and then finish reading the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. When I took the challenge I didn't realize what an impact it would have on my life. I had read and reread the Book of Mormon throughout my life, but reading it in a compact 4 months made the book come to life for me in a way it never had before. My testimony of that book was truly strengthened and I particularly loved the promise that President Hinckley gave to us all when he issued the challenge:

"Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program (read the Book of Mormon), regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God."

I will forever be grateful for the things I have learned from President Gordon B. Hinckley.

Matthew 25:21- "His Lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. "

President Gordon B. and Marjorie Hinckley were weeks away from celebrating their 66th wedding anniversary when she passed away in April of 2003.

-"Knighting" President Eyring in jest at the Oct '07 Conference-
During the Saturday morning session of Conference last year, after President Hinckley finished with the sustaining of the officers, Elder Eyring moved to his new seat on the stand. Shortly after I heard the congregation laugh and I wondered what it was that I had missed. Well, unfortunately they didn't show this on TV, but it turns out that when President Hinckley turned around, he stood there for a moment looking at Elder Eyring, then picked up his cane and "knighted" him on his shoulder and head. I just loved his humor!

*The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Newsroom stories about President Hinckley:

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/beloved-church-president-gordon-b-hinckley-dies-at-age-97

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/feature-story-president-gordon-b-hinckley

4 comments:

Summertime Designs said...

He will definitely be missed. His charisma, stamina, and just his faith in us, as members, helps to keep me determined to keep going in life. I love to read from his little quotation book that I have because everything he ever taught helps me feel like I can do anything. I am glad he gets to go home to his sweetheart.

Amy said...

President Hinckley's Book of Mormon challenge impacted so many people. I love most that he was such a *real* person...I don't think he ever gave I talk without showing his sense of humor.

Could you e-mail me so that I can give you our FHE group info? I'm so glad you decided to join us!

Amy said...

I guess my e-mail address would help...:) amhend@hotmail.com

Andrea said...

Great tribute to President Hinckley. I loved when he "knighted" Pres Eyring too! That was funny! Pres Hinckley was such a cute, funny, awesome man!