Wednesday, February 6, 2008

52 Blessings (Week FIVE): A Blessing For Each Week Of The Year

Number FIVE: My Crock-Pot

Last week was a crazy week and I depended on my crock-pot for every dinner I made (okay, aside from Papa John's Pizza on Saturday night.) I learned at a young age from my wonderful-cook-of-a-Mother, to love the simplicity of the crock-pot and I have a lot of delicious recipes that I use quite often. From Tortilla Soup to Chicken Tacos to Roast & Potaotes to Beef Stroganoff,
I LOVE THE CROCK-POT!

Below I will post Eric's favorite chicken recipe, which was one of the meals I made this past week. This is actually a variation on an oven bake recipe that I learned from my Mom, but a friend from Tucson came up with the transition from oven recipe to crock-pot recipe. Enjoy!


BTW- I am always looking for new crock-pot recipes so please pass along any that you love!


CROCK-POT SWISS CHICKEN
Ingredients:
-4-5 Chicken Breasts, boneless & skinless
-1 can Cream of Chicken soup
-1 can milk (just fill-up the chicken soup can)
-4-5 thick slices of Swiss cheese
-4 Tbls. melted butter
-1 pkg. pre-cut and dried stuffing (NOT Stove Top-- you want thick bread cubes)

1.) Lightly oil the sides of the crock-pot. Place the chicken in. Place 1 slice of Swiss cheese over each chicken breast. (If breasts are large, you can use more then 1 slice.)
2.) In a small bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup and milk; pour over the chicken. Place the bread cubes/stuffing on top. Pour the melted butter over the bread cubes; cover with the lid.
3.) Cook on Low for 8 hours. Great served with a box of "Pasta Roni's Angel Hair Pasta with Herbs." Delicious!

*Tip: This can all be made the night before and stored in the fridge until ready to cook the next day.

7 comments:

The Quist Family said...

Yumm! I need to use mine a lot more. I would love the chicken taco recipe.

onehm said...

I love my crock pot too! Great blessing!!!
And I really want to try that recipe sometime....
YUM!

mindy said...

here's my favorite chicken crock pot meal: creamy italian chicken (you probably already have it, i've seen it go around the lds community)
5-6 large chkn breasts (frozen ok) in crockpot; mix packet zesty italian dressing mix and about 1/2c water, pour over chicken. cook on high 3 hours(church!), pull chicken apart with forks; add can cr. of chkn soup and 8 oz. block of cream cheese (i usually soften it in the microwave so it melts faster) to crock pot, stir until melted and mixed, serve over hot noodles. my kids love this one!

Janel said...

I use the recipe Mindy gave all the time. I have the Fix it and Forget it crockpot cookbook,My familys fave is the curry chicken with the sweet potatoes on top) and my mom gave me a "scrapbookers" crockpot cookbook for Christmas, that has a few new ones in it I need to try. My main challenge now....I need a bigger crockpot!!! I have my eye on the huge oval red and yellow one at Walmart. Then I can use my old one for side dishes.

My family fave: Frozen meatballs, 12 oz grape Jelly and 1 jar chili sauce.(served over rice) Its an oldie but a goodie. I just wish it was healthier!!

matt and brynnzie said...

Hmmm!!! Crockpots!!! I love mine and didn't realize how much until my pot cracked. I told Matt I need a new one like YESTERDAY!!!

Kris-10 said...

Here's one:
Crock-pot Mush
by Dianne Stewart
1 can crm of mushroom soup
1 can crm of celery soup
1 can crm of chicken soup
6 chicken breasts cooked (just brown in frying pan) and cut into cubes
1 cube of unsalted butter
1/2 cup of water or chicken broth
1 box of Uncle Ben's long grain wild rice (uncooked)
Throw all the ingredients into crock-pot. Cook on low for 8 hrs.

Summertime Designs said...

Amen to the Crockpot! This recipe looks yummy so I will have to try it. I'll look through my recipes and get you some more...there are some excellent cooks in my ward who are all about simplifying!