Number SEVEN:
Homemade Bread
I am so excited! On Saturday we had a Stake Women's Conference and one of the classes taught us how to make Homemade Bread. I'm not talking about using the bread machine (and not even for the dough cycle, which is what I normally do) but making it ALL by hand! I learned how to knead properly, let it rise, punch down, shape into loaves, let it rise again, and bake it, baby! I came home Saturday afternoon and made THREE LOAVES of delicious White Bread! I know my Mom was looking down from Heaven just so proud of me. You see, my Mom was a fantastic baker/cook and was great at homemade bread & rolls. She taught me how to do this when I was a teenager but I didn't pay very much attention then. The Thanksgiving before she died, I told her "okay, at Christmastime we are spending a day with you teaching me how to make your bread/rolls and pie crusts." Well, she passed away just 3 days before Christmas, so obviously that day did not happen. Yet, as I sliced and buttered the delicious homemade bread for my family, I was so proud and knew my Mom was saying, "Way to go Jaimee!" Below I've written the recipe from Chef Brad so you can all make it and have yummy homemade bread for your families, too! So good!
WHITE BREAD
By Chef Brad Petersen
By Chef Brad Petersen
Ingredients:
-2 1/2 cups hot water
-1/3 cup sugar
-1/4 cup veg. oil (Or butter, lard, or Crisco)
-2 tsp. salt
-1 1/2 Tbls. yeast, Saf instant yeast (sold at Smart & Final)
-5 cups + flour
In a bowl add the water, sugar, oil, salt, and 2 cups flour. Mix well with a spoon and add the yeast and 3 more cups flour. Mix well and then dump out on a floured surface. Start kneading by folding the closest edge to you away from you towards the furthest edge. With the ball of the hand, press the folded edge into the dough, turning the dough around as you complete the fold. Keep repeating the process adding flour as needed being careful not to add too much flour. After the dough is well kneaded, about 6-8 minutes, place in an oiled bowl and cover; let rise until doubled. Punch down and form into 2 loaves; let rise again until doubled. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approx 30 minutes. Butter the tops once out. Cool for 10 minutes and then take out of pan to cool on a wire rack. Delicious!
*For Whole Grain Bread: Substitute 3 cups of white flour with fresh ground whole wheat flour and let rise until doubled, twice, before forming into loaves.
*For Cinnamon Bread: Before placing in bread pans to bake, roll out each loaf and spread with cinnamon and sugar. Roll up into a loaf and place in an oiled pan and let rise until doubled. Continue with recipe.
*For Fry Bread: Divide the dough into small golf ball pieces and roll out on an oiled surface and fry in hot oil, flipping over and cooking both sides. Top with honey or powdered sugar or use for Navajo Tacos.



9 comments:
Next time you make bread let me come over and watch. My sister always made me some but now since she lives in UT I have to fend for myself. I was just wanting the know how last weekend so your post was perfect timing.
WOW! Look at you - little bread baker!! Your bread looks so pretty! Wasn't Saturday such a fun meeting? I loved every minute of it!!
Way to go Jaimee!! I want some. I have never been prouder of you than I am at this moment! I knew you would get it someday!
I am totally impressed! I can just smell the yumminess right now!! As soon as I get the guts I will try to attempt this art.
I'm sure she is proud of you for so much more too. I bet living in your house it is full of great memories. Yummo
Yeah Jaimee! See, you could have been a pioneer! Now you just need to get a wheat grinder so you can make your flour by hand too! If you ever felt the need to make me a loaf, I would gladly accept! (And yes, Mom would be proud...you even mastered her pie crusts too!)
Homemade bread is the best. I have never even made it with a bread maker I guess I should be proud of myself right?
Your mom was the best cook. Pumpkin bread, cinnamon rolls, white bread, everything. And she never just made a little. If she made it, she always made enough to take to all the neighbors and anybody else who might be walking down the street. Good Job, Jaimee.
You go James, a total accomplishment. Other than lemon merainge pie, when she made stuff, she did it non-stop for a year. I remember the year of the choc. cakes, pumpkin bread (not enough mini choc. chips on earth to keep her in stock), cinn. rolls and quilts. (Bill makes it weekly and can grind you wheat in a second-come on down)!
Post a Comment