Saturday, February 2, 2008

And The Rain Came Pouring Down

Ala So, I Married An Axe Murder...
"We have a piper down, We have a piper down!"

We have two large Sumac trees that bookend the front corners of our yard. Well, Sunday there was a big, long rain storm (hail & everything) and the Sumac over by the mailbox couldn't take it. This tree's branches were growing in two different directions anyway and the beautiful leaves & flowers just soaked up all the rain, making it so heavy that the entire tree collapsed - uprooted! Our neighbor, Greg Morris, came over and informed us that it had fallen and we couldn't believe it! This tree was huge and left a big hole in the ground. Eric and his brother Mark spent the entire day Monday with chain-saws cutting down load after load and then hauling them to the dump. It was quite the project. I am sad to see the tree gone, but hey, great fire wood for my Dad's cabin!

Tye and Spencer helping their Dad "take care of business."


Spencer examining the hole. The picture doesn't do it justice- it really is big but hard to see in pictures since it is covered by our ferns.

Tye ready to go to the dump with the last load.


7 comments:

gs said...

HEY, WOW, HOLY COW! Will I still recognize the house? What an undertaking. I think everyone should own multiple chain saws.

The Scotts said...

I am sad that the tree fell down. Summer and I were talking about all the pictures we used to take in front of it.

Andrea said...

WOW! That is so WILD! Glad no one got hurt! And here I was happy for all the rain because it was washing away some of our toilet paper (from getting TP'd Sat night)!

onehm said...

My kids were totally shocked when we drove by that morning on the way to school and it was hanging out into the street!
I bet the boys had a BLAST helping dad with the work!!

Janel said...

Awwwww, that is kinda sad!! We lost everything in our yard to frost last year, so it looks really blank, but we got used to it. And good thing that it fell AWAY from the house, huh?? "D

Anonymous said...

I am so sad the tree is gone. It will be hard to see the house without it. The boys looked like they had fun.

Summertime Designs said...

You cannot believe how massive that tree was until you see it taking up that whole side of the yard like that! Holy cow it was huge!!! That was a tree of memories...I remember it being used many times as backdrops to pictures of us girls when we were all dressed to go to prom! It did make a pretty big mess though whenever it rained or got windy, so that will be a nice change. But still, it will be missed!