Okay, I am the first to admit that I am easily entertained in the movie theater so I am probably not much of a movie critic. The smell of popcorn, sitting next to Eric and holding his hand in the dark as I am transported to another place & time for a couple of hours--what's not to love?!? Unless a film is down-right awful, I can enjoy quite a lot (at least one time) while in a theater. Even knowing my movie-loving-feelings, I do think that a movie starring my two favorite actors, Nicole Kidman & Hugh Jackman, calls for a movie review. So here goes: Did I like "Australia?"...I liked it alot!!!
It's a Western! A Romance! A War Movie! A Mystical Fable! And, Crikey, it's got Hugh Jackman!
It was wonderful!

This movie is Entertainment with a Capital "E"! Okay, it will definitely be loved more by the ladies than the men, but I think the guys will enjoy it, too. I give it an A+++, while Eric said the first half was an F (ouch!) and the second half was a solid B- (you might be guessing right now that the second half is the war part). I've looked at several of the reviews and have been perplexed that many critics didn't really love it. I think it boils down to whether or not you have a predisposition to like the elements that make up this film. If you know Director Baz Luhrmann's work (Moulin Rouge!) then you know he has a very distinctive brand of film-making and likes to make his movies a bit over the top and even hokey at times. He loves old Hollywood musicals & romances, and his style is typical of that. But I AM a fan of old movies and there is definitely a large bit of that old epic-style in this film. It is an old-fashioned movie, and deliberately so-- which might seem corny to today's younger audiences and cynics. But I thought it was spectacular from beginning to end!
It is a long film (2 1/2 hours) and I thought the length would bother me, but the time just flew by--really it did! It was truly entertaining! And if you want romance then watch Hugh in the scenes when they are fighting the fires after the Japanese bomb the town--sooooo romantic! I recently read a review that said it all: "The story is exhilarating. It has its humor and it has its tragedy-- classic Luhrmann style. It is set in a heightened state of reality and yet speaks much truth. Get lost in this amazing film!" Amen! I didn't love love the aboriginal mythology in the movie but the boy who plays Nullah is fantastic--hard to believe this is his first film.
What more can I say? I loved it! The actors delivered and the cinematography is breathtaking. This film is just beautiful! So, for some good old fashioned fun and some nice eye-candy (ladies, I did mention that this stars Hugh Jackman, right?!?) this is worth seeing on the big screen! Bravo, Baz, Bravo.

Still not sold? Three more movie critics' reviews: "What a gorgeous film, what strong performances, what exhilarating images, and yes, what sweeping romantic melodrama" AND " 'Australia' harbors ambitions that match its sweeping panorama and epic romance" AND "For all intents and purposes it's a western. A good one, too, shot through with energy and a self-mocking camp humor that isn't too far removed from 'Moulin Rouge!' ".

20 comments:
I love your obsession with Hugh! We all have our movie man and I think of you every time I see him. Remember he is on Jimmey Kimmel Thursday night I believe. I keep telling Jared that I want to see it. He doesn't respond. So maybe we should have a girls night and go! I'll let you know!!
love the review. and who wouldn't like looking at that beautiful man? i heard it was 3 hours-that might be a little long for me. but probably worth it to look at hugh?
Loved it! Hugh Jackman, seriously. I am also easily entertained and loved it. Nate didn't think it was too bad also. In fact, the last minute of the movie the sound didn't work! All I know is that if it happened 2 hours in, I would of been ticked!! It was worth the 3 hours :)
BTW- This movie is only 2 1/2 hours, not 3 hours. Worth the time! Did I mention Hugh Jackman?!? :D
Oh brother... This Movie may have been timed at 2 1/2 hours, but it felt like 4 days of fasting for me. To those that tell you it is a War movie, just laugh and move on. To those that tell you it is a Western, ask them if they have even seen a Western. To those that tell you the movie is terrible, buy them a drink.
If you think 7 year old kids can stop 1500 stampeding cattle by standing in front of them and singing a quiet, mumbled song - then this movie is for you.
Yeah, I'm Jaimee's husband.
Ignore my cute, but delusional, husband's comments. As I said in my post, the aboriginal mythology was a bit too much for me as well, (see Eric's comments about the stampede) but the rest of the movie is amazing! I'll see it again with anyone who calls!
Oh Eric, you are such a whiny baby. Jaimee, I will go with you. I loved Hugh in Kate & Leopold. My favorite man is still Viggo Mortensen in the Lord of the Rings trilogy (outside of that, he's not as sexy...there's something about that look with the long greasy hair that gets me...in real life if a guy had that kind of hair I would be grossed out). Okay, enough! But one day I plan on seeing Australia.
I would like to talk about my man. Joaquin Phoenix. In The Village when the others are coming and the blind girl is holding her hand out for him and he comes and grabs it and takes her back inside and protects her!!!!!!!!!! That is when I first fell in love with him. It broke my heart though when he said he was retiring from acting a few weeks ago. I emailed Jared for sympathy and he emailed back saying that at least he still had Scarlett Johanson. Good thing that I now have Edward, really only in this movie, I am attracted to Edward and NOT Robert no offense. I also might like Emmett if he does well. Thank you.
And yes, I will go with you too.
Oh, and sadly I love Orlando Bloom in Pirates
Oh, and Jude Law in The Holiday
Oh, wait and Shanon is sitting next to me and she said Paul Reuben from Pee Wee
I did not say Pee Wee. However he looked better as the Spleen in Mystery Men.
I did say that David Beckham was number 2 after Jared of course. Jared even said he'd go gay for him. Ha ha Don't tell him I wrote this.
Really quick, I HATED Joaquin in Gladiator because he was so good and creepy.
Summer has added Dwight from the Office, enough said.
Oh whatever Shanon. You have gone too far. I recall you saying you were in love with Ernest from Ernest goes to Camp. Now that I think about it, you are MADLY in love with Michael Jackson POST surgery...surgeries. Or was it Carrot Top?
Wait Jaimee, I thought you were a "Fanilow" of the Manilow! (Shanon came up with that one for Barry Boy.) Oh wait, it's late, we are tired and not thinking clearly. It was Eric who was the "Fanilow." We will never forget his performance of "I Write the Songs" and that dance he made up to "Copacabana" with his bedazzled sequined shirt, leather pants, leg warmers and boots. Wait, don't forget the top hat...do you still have that picture?
Oh, remember how we were planning on doing a talent show for our family Christmas party? I know Eric was trying to copy this routine. Did he perfect it yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8q5QJOwoG4&feature=related
Oh my goodness! My silly, sweet, and obviously tired sisters, you have had a little too much fun with my post! You should not be left alone with a computer late at night while your husbands are out of town! :D
Just to set the record straight...it is I who am the "Fanilow" of Mr. Barry Manilow and I am not ashamed! Summer's remarks about my manly man, Eric, were just jokes & lies to taunt & tease him when he reads this post tomorrow. Eric is a masculine sexy babe who is as entertained by Barry as much as I am entertained by watching hockey. (That means not at all.)
Now, I would still love to read any thoughts on "Australia" and/or Hugh Jackman from any other friends. Summer & Shanon, you must go to this movie with me over the holidays as "punishment" for your ridiculous ramblings on my blog. I fear I will never get another friend to comment again! It's a good thing I love you both so much! And...I am sad I couldn't make your get together tonight---it seems like a fun night! Talk to you in the morning. Love ya. :D
I love all you Decker girls! You make me laugh and I want to be invited to this family talent show for Christmas. Australia does look great and I hope to see it sometime soon. Summer- I do have to agree with you on Jude Law and Orlando Bloom for both of those movies.
Excellent! I feel like I just hung out with you guys for the night. I won't even mention how the administrators at a girls reform school made them listen to Barry for 20 hours straight-- some thought the punishment too harsh! Man, I gotta go to bed.
Post a Comment