Friday, March 14, 2008

52 Blessings (Week TEN): A Blessing For Each Week Of The Year

Number TEN: Handwritten Notes

I love getting a handwritten note from someone I love. It is really one of my all-time favorite things in the world! There's something about seeing someone's handwriting and knowing that they took the time to write something personal that makes the note so much more meaningful! And throughout my life, most of my favorite notes have come from Eric and my Mom.

Eric knows how much notes mean to me and so he is really good about putting thought into the cards he gives me. I can always expect something sweet on my Birthday, our Anniversary, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and other times of love & reflection. I won't post any of his notes, but I have saved them all over the years-- yes, every single one and love to read thru them. It's quite the pile after 11+ years and I am one lucky woman to have such a tender man.

I wish I had saved more of the letters from my Mom, but do have a few that I cherish. Two in particular are notes she wrote me during trying times in my life and they have been God-sent over the past 14 months. I found a note in my Mom's scriptures not too long ago and it was a note of advice my Mom had written to herself (I know, too cute!) At the top was something she used to always tell us. It was a quote she made up, and what's funny is that she's written it in quotation marks, and then it says "Me", meaning that SHE is quoting herself. The quote is "You take care of Heavenly Father, He will take care of you." Then she goes on to list how we take care of Heavenly Father. It was such a treasure to find because it is great advice that can pertain to many different experiences. Here is the actual paper she wrote:

BTW- I know this week's posts have been pretty heavy and I promise to be more light & upbeat in my upcoming posts. It's just been a week of reflection with my Mom's birthday and all. Isn't it great that we have this little spot in the universe where we can share our feelings and vent about life!?! I love blogs! Thanks to those who love me and take the time to read. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs and staying up-to-date with you all! A happy weekend to you!

9 comments:

The Quist Family said...

I couldn't agree more! I love handwritten notes. That is such a sweet note that you found of your moms!

Jen Shumway said...

What a treasur to have.

Courtney said...

I love hand written notes as well. Perhaps it's the personal touch they add...

So cool to find that wonderful note your mom wrote to herself and now to so many others!

Nichols Family said...

Beautiful...so glad you have that as a memory. Hey, Karen will be here for a few weeks in April. Email me at nichols.jennie@gmail.com and we'll have to go to lunch or something!
-Jennie

The Scotts said...

I love Mom's handwritten notes! I for some reason kept a lot from her and now I love reading them. I wish I were a better writer. I just found Jared's valentines day card blank on the kitchen counter. I did email him though! I should just transfer it. We always can expect our cards a few months later.

Summertime Designs said...

Handwritten notes are the best Jameson! Cory's great aunt had sent us a "fat" check for Claire. And he just wanted to EMAIL her a thank you note! I was like, "No way Jose! When someone sends us something like that, we HAVE to write a handwritten thank you note!" And Mom's were always the best. Remember how after Mom died we were looking through her papers and there was that one receipt for an oil change on her car, and she had written "If ever two were one then surely we" along with a heart doodle with "RD + SD" written in the middle? I love that mom doodled!

onehm said...

I love notes too! And I am so glad that you have that sweet note of your mom's!! Lovely Blessing!

Byron said...

I have a few of my Grandma's things that are handwritten, the recipes are my favorite. what a great thing to have, and to share with us all!

mindy said...

what a sweet memory--you are blessed!