Friday, March 7, 2008

A Mom on Valentine's Day

We were looking at pictures from Valentine's Day, when Tye asked me why I hadn't blogged about them yet. So, here they are... a day late and a dollar short!

I absolutely LOVE Valentine's Day. Growing up, my Mom completely spoiled us and made such a big deal on Valentine's Day and all other holidays. Valentine's Day was one of her favorite holidays. We would wake up to some sort of heart-shaped breakfast, usually waffles or pancakes with strawberries & whip cream, and then knew that there would be heart-shaped cookies or a heart-shaped cake when we arrived home from school. She always had large heart decorations hanging up in our house and gave us Valentine's cards & candies. My Mom and Dad also celebrated the "14 Days of Valentines" with each other every year they were together (over 35 years!) This is where they doted on each other with gifts each day from February 1st-14th. It was cute and gross to see your parents so crazy in love (okay, mostly cute.)

I have tried to carry on the love-fest traditions and my boys are excited for this day every year. I make waffles with strawberries & whip cream for breakfast and give the boys Valentine's cards & candies. We always decorate heart-shaped sugar cookies together and they love to add A LOT of sprinkles to each cookie--the more the merrier! Eric had a beautiful bouquet of roses delivered on the eve of the 13th so I could enjoy the flowers the whole Valentine's Day! We always get the kids to bed early on Valentine's Day, order take-out from a favorite restaurant, and eat dinner in bed. Then we go out to dinner and a movie the following weekend. I love all 3 of my guys and am thankful for their love each Valentine's Day!


If you see the mess in the background of these pics, we were preparing to start our Family Room redo. Below is our first picture taken as we stripped the wallpaper. More pics to come as the room develops!

16 comments:

gs said...

Your mom alwaysssssssss loved holidays. You've got some precious memories being made. Holy cow, so glad the wallpaper if finally coming down. It was good while it lasted. It was great being w you last weekend. You two are cute.

The Quist Family said...

It looks like you had such a great Valentines!! You're boys are so adorable. So fun!

The Quist Family said...

By the way, the wallpaper project looks so fun!

Janel said...

I can't keep up with all these posts all of a sudden!! LOL I'm a litle sad to see that wallpaper come down, I had lots of fun memories in that family room!! Watching the friday night high school football highlights, eating baked alaska with "my husband", etc etc.

I need to be more fun on valentines with my kids, it would help if they weren't such naughty stinkers on the 13th!! LOL

Kim A said...

That is so funny that your son called you out about not blogging their Valentine pics yet! Oh, and great zoo pictures too...I want to feed a giraffe...that puts phoenix zoo to shame!

Marcie and Holly said...

Your boys are so cute! They are getting so big. we also love the pic of you redoing the room. Great memories!

Rachel Hagen said...

Sounds like you had a fun Valentine's day. I LOVE the pics at the zoo. That's awesome that you can get so close!

Hillery said...

Your boys are so stinkin' cute! Good luck with the wallpaper - I hear taking it down can be a beast!

Nichols Family said...

Your boys are so darn handsome. Good work.

The Scotts said...

You are way too fun!! Good luck with the demolition!

Tim and Jennifer said...

I love all of your pictures! The boys have the biggest, cutest smiles! I can't wait to see what the family room looks like afterwards...i love makeovers!

jenny said...

What a fun tradition! I am such a slacker on holiday stuff with my kids. I need to be better.

Good luck with the wall paper. So not a fun task. I can't wait to see what you are doing with it.

Love the alphabet list. fun!

Jen Shumway said...

You guys really go out for V day. What great memories

Courtney said...

I came across your blog from Jenny...so fun to see your cute family! I too, LOVE Valentine's day, a sucker for romance I guess.

Your two boys are darling...what fun! You'll have to check out my fam at www.themiliusbunch.blogspot.com - though it is private so send me your email and I'll permission you on courtneymilius@hotmail.com!

So fun to catch up!

Anonymous said...

The family room is going to look great. Post pictures as you go. It looks a lot bigger than it did. Probably because nothing is in there.

Byron said...

I can't get enough of looking at your boys...they are so, so cute! K, whoever did the original wallpaper job knew what they were doing. That stuff is really not coming off! Good luck, I love projects!