For other Mormon weekend warriors like ourselves, we do our home projects on SATURDAY only and pack as much into that day as possible. Sometimes we wish we had that second weekend day to do our projects, but hey, we appreciate our redos even more when we live in the mess over several weeks until we actually have those 3 or 4 Saturdays to finish our projects! (At least that is what I have to tell myself to get thru the days!) Well, Eric and I are trying to redo many of the rooms in our new home and boy, do we have a large list of things to get done. Even though we are doing several projects at once, we are now determined to finish our Family Room ASAP. It hasn't helped that Eric has been especially busy with work lately, but we put in the hours these past few Saturdays and now have something to show for it.
**WARNING: In the following pictures you must ignore the mess on the floors and tables as I am showing you the work on the walls, not the mess my kids make while I do the work on the walls!
**WARNING: In the following pictures you must ignore the mess on the floors and tables as I am showing you the work on the walls, not the mess my kids make while I do the work on the walls!
Our mind-consuming project is familiar to many of you as you have lived it in your own homes and some have done even bigger projects than I-- and for that I applaud you! My purpose here is to happily tell our story. So, a few Saturdays ago we began the Family Room redo as we stripped two layers of wallpaper that ended up being glued to actual drywall (no texturizing was ever done on these walls.)
So, the next Saturday was spent sanding the walls, texturizing them, and then re-sanding. (We only did the top half because the bottom half will be covered with beaded board wainscoting.)
Then I painted the room Madera Yellow (my late Mom's choice of paint color and I love it! Way to go, Mom). Of course being the one who takes pictures we have not one photo of all my hard work. But I'll say I did an awesome job and then move on to the next weekend...
So, this Friday night and all day Saturday, Eric and I set up our backyard work station and painted & cut all the wainscoting, chair-rails, crown moulding, casings, and our hallway linen closets. Then we stayed up until almost 2am installing the wainscoting, chair-rails, baseboards, and closets. We might have tomorrow's Family Home Evening lesson be on installing crown molding so we can just get it all up on the walls!
Above: This man has skills! Seriously, don't let the good looks fool you--he's a handy-man, too!
Above: Hmmm...Is that enough chair rail and crown moulding?
I know we still need to put up the crown moulding, fill in the nail holes, smear the caulking, and do the touch-up paint but we are definitely getting closer. Then I can decorate! Yeah! All in all, the room is really coming along and I am super excited when I envision the finished project. My new red sectional may find a place in our home yet!
Above: Our Family Room as of Sunday night at 10pm.

13 comments:
Way to go!! It's looking great!!
Hey! I was excited to find you have a blog. Looks like you're doing good! The painting does look great! Taking down wallpaper, sanding . . . wow, you guys have been working hard.
It looks great, Jaimee. That room really needed an overhaul. I bet it looks a lot bigger and brighter and wonderful with the new kitchen.
It always seems like it won't be that hard of a job till your about half done, then its like Oh, yeah this is a TON of work! Looks like you have the man for the job over there. I LOVE doing home projects with Mark, we always have fun. Way to go, it looks really great!!
a red sofa will be great in there. Great job
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!! I'm lovin your look. You have a serious work station on the back porch going. I want to see linen closet too. That room needed redoing!
Looking good! Mark said it was coming together nicely and I was dying to see pictures or better yet the real thing... :o) I'll have to come over with Mark sometime. Thanks for letting Eric come and help us move. I know it is taking time away from your house!!!
From what I saw Saturday and your pictures it is so cute! I love the molding and bead board and of course the yellow! I cant wait to see it finished. I laughed when you wrote my late Mom, that threw me off and sounds weird. Oh Sher!!
It looks so good! Good work!
Oh my. What a job!! It really does look fabulous Jaimee. I totally applaud those who have the patience for such projects. I can't wait to see what else you guys end up doing. Love that color --it's very calming.
it looks great! all your hard work will definitely pay off! way to go!
PHEW - the endless trips to home depot (or where-ever) definitely paid off! The room looks great!!!! Way to go - you inspire me as our home needs much T.L.C. to get into shape...waiting for motivation and money!
I can't believe all the work you squeezed into your Saturdays! Awesome!
I had no idea you were doing so much work, J. Wow! Can't wait to see the finished product.
But...are you sure Eric knows what he's doing...???!! Didn't he get all his tips from that PBS show, The Yankee Workshop or somethin'?
Post a Comment